Monday, October 26, 2009

Refueling for "Blast-off"


Complements of Jordan Vezina.

Hardstyle Ventura this Saturday was a blast! I hope what I learned and relearned about tension, strength, and safety will stay with me for a long time. I wasn't able to successfully complete a one-armed push-up or pistol without assistance, but the principles and drills needed for them and all of the other exercises we did will help in just about everything I'll do that requires strength. My pull-ups became explosive, presses felt lighter, and I did a push-up in a head stand with more power than I thought I had! Pavel did take it easy on us more than he wanted. He "let" us practice a remedial drill and then practice a main exercise that uses those same principles and techniques. Simple, not easy. Pavel is a genius who drills home the lessons for the body and mind. All in all, thanks to Sean Schniederjan for being a great host, all of the other excellent attendants, RKCs or not, all ranked from Level I, II, Team Leader, Senior, Master and Chief. The company for dinner and dessert was especially nice! Oh, and a Hardstyle thanks to David Whitley for a souvenir bent horse shoe!

I had the DOMS on Thursday and Friday. Saturday morning I had a tight lower back, but soon I was warm and enjoying the pain of good tension and strength. Sunday was rest. Today was an unknown. My mobility, stretch, and warm-up session dictated what I should do:
Z-Health, 16kg Armbars & Halos, Wall squats, Pump, and Brettzel.

Eischens Yoga for Warriors (Advanced).
(RPE 16: I used subtle techniques from Hardstyle Ventura on Saturday to use better form.)

"Blast-off" will be in the form of reaching the goal of pressing half my body weight. Whether I use the "Rite of Passage" or Adam Glass' "Radiant Dawn," more research and time will tell.

2 comments:

Laura Nepodal said...

John,

It was awesome meeting you at HSV. You are one strong man! It was awesome to enjoy the pain along with so many other driven individuals. Doug and I will definitely come by next time we are on our way up north. :)

John Roberts said...

My pleasure Laura. It was a blast. Make sure you two bring your helmets!