Monday, November 17, 2008

ROP Light + Snatch Test PR

Since this is a "New" Snatch Test protocol, every new gain is a Personal Record! But I have achieved what I think is very close to my max. At least, that's what my lungs tell me! So, next week I'll decide whether to maintain this rep scheme while concentrating on form, add more reps to this protocol, cycle down reps to later work towards a higher PR, or change the protocol for a USSS 10-minute test while maintaining my RKC required reps for my weight within the first 5 minutes. So many free choices, but only one must be chosen wisely. I plan on success, but with free will and a free market I have the freedom to fail and learn from my mistakes.

"To my mind the single essential element on which all discoveries will be dependent is human freedom."--Barry Goldwater

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."--Gerald Ford

"Reality will come, it is just a matter of time. Keynes was wrong when he said 'in the long run, we are all dead.' In the long run, Keynes is dead and the rest of us suffer in a world based on his false philosophy."--Golden Weight on the Market


24kg Military Press + Pull Ladders

Rest periods were 1:00 between ladders.
5 ladders
3 Rungs

Pull ladder type:
1 Thumbless pull-up
2 Close-grip pull-ups
3 Chin-ups

RKC Snatch Test Requirements for my weight (82 reps)
9L&R on the minute x 5
Total = 90 reps

8 comments:

Aaron Friday said...

You did your snatch test after all of that other stuff? Well done, my man. You're good for 100.

I love the quotes you chose.

John Roberts said...

Thanks for the encouragement Aaron! I did rest for five minutes before the attempt...
At the rate I am going, at least five more weeks to get to 100 reps, the pain quotient may not be bearable! "Remember that time is money....But in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."--Benjamin Franklin taken out of context! :)

Aaron Friday said...

Here's how I warmed up for my 5-minute sessions:
* One set of 5/5
* Rest for a couple minutes
* Chalk up extremely well, then set the timer and go

Not only will you break 100, you'll eventually be able to do it whenever you want to. It will be as certain as death and taxes, LOL!

After you've done a few fivers, 3-minute rounds are good for improving your speed and getting most of the benefits of the long set with little wear and tear on your psyche, nervous system, and hands.

You can have a 3-minute PR and a 5-minute PR.

John Roberts said...

That sounds like a great rep scheme Aaron. I kinda wish it was already my snatch day. I'll defintely plan on it for next Monday. Thank you. I hope you check back to see what has transpired.

From reading your recent blog, you are hitting all the right parts for the gut. Anything that smacks of cardio has to be good for that! Are you sure it isn't mostly muscle since you're doing such a nice job on those weighted pull-ups? I've gained about five pounds since the August RKC. I'd say it's half n' half!

Aaron Friday said...

There's a little bit of gut-protrusion that began when I started pressing barbells. It was enhanced by kettlebell snatching, and especially 32kg kettlebell snatching.

I'm in love with functional strength, and I realize that a thick mid-section (the muscle part of it, anyway) enhances strength.

But I've also got a layer of fat now that was caused by drinking beer and not working out. I'm also in love with beer, so that's my dilemma. I figure I'll just work out now and see what happens.

100 reps is yours, any time you want to make it happen. I went from 82, to 90, to 92 at the TSC, and then to 114 at the next TSC. All it took was a decision not to put the bell down and all of the training that went into that decision.

Training like this sucks because it's hard, but it also has its rewards, like being and feeling like a tough SOB. After a few fivers, 3-minute sessions are Goddamn fun.

John Roberts said...

I admire your optimism Aaron. Your exponential progress at the TSC was due to your rough and tough determination. Thanks for the inspiration.

BTW, beer is good food. The darker the better! If you decide to cut down, try a little red wine supplement, as it is even "better" food! :)

John Roberts said...

Here's the quote I forgot to add:
"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy."
(Isaacson, Walter. Benjamin Franklin: An American Life. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2003. p.374.)

Aaron Friday said...

That is one super excellent quotation.

The determination lasts only 5 minutes at a time, or 3. You can definitely add reps to your test with some effort.