Thursday, May 21, 2009

New discoveries (for me)

Within the last few days I have experimented with a 16kg kettlebell only in practice. I have found that what I'll call a "Bottom Up Side Press" delivers a groove that works the grip and lat in a different manner than the "Bottom Up Military Press", while sparing my shoulders. I think this is probably due to the shoulder's rotation. So, instead of using a long bar as in PTTP, a bottom up kettlebell's handle is racked to one side and near parallel with the shoulders. Acting as if this is a long bar, press and watch while raising and lowering. Use ALL of the techniques Pavel writes about in PTTP. Let me know what you think.

Tuesday night I purchased the whole insurance policy of "Kettlebell Secrets". There is much gold in this information that I cannot wait to mine and reap the rewards. As a matter of fact, I have already used one from Master RKC Brett Jones, the "Bretzel". Even though I have known about and tried to use this stretch before, the instruction in "Kettlebell Secrets" took me to another level of accomplishment. I liked it so much, I became an affiliate. So Click "HERE" Now!
Shameless, I know...
:)

Tuesday:
10 minutes of mobility with Z-health NWU Level 1
12 minutes of beginner's Eischens Yoga
3L&R Reps of 16kg armbars
3L&R Naked Get-ups (No discomfort and no pain while using more tension!)

Wednesday:
10 minutes of mobility with Z-health NWU Level 1
Bretzel 3 breathes per side
3L&R Reps of 16kg armbars
4L&R Naked Get-ups (Tension is the key to more strength with no pain!)
24kg swings x 20 on the minute x 7 (RPE 16)
12 minutes of beginner's Eischens Yoga (Big difference in this placement for the yoga itself and the swings. Both improved in quality and control!)

Today:
10 minutes of mobility with Z-health NWU Level 1
Bretzel 3 breathes per side
3L&R Reps of 16kg armbars
6L&R Naked Get-ups (RPE 16)
12 minutes of beginner's Eischens Yoga

2 comments:

Amy Jurrens said...

Hey! I did 24kg swings on Wednesday too! 20 on the minute for 10 minutes. Crazy!

I don't know about that BU side press. Maybe with a baby bell. Do you think a BU Bent Press is feasible? I would be game for that.

Have a great holiday weekend and get that shoulder healed up, would yah!

John Roberts said...

Hey Amy,
Nice tonnage and time! Those 20 swings on the minute are a great scheme to use to track progress.

Regarding the bent press, I have not practiced enough to perfect it, but I've watched Pavel and the Iron Tamer Whitley demonstrate perfect technique. The "three dimensional" slight twist of the trunk and deep bend would seem to make this much tougher to do than the "two dimensional" side press. And of course the bottom up demands much more focus and energy on balance and grip. Be careful! I know, look who's talking. I'm feeling about 90+% and rising!

Thanks, I hope you and yours have a great Memorial Day weekend too!